DAN Diving Emergency Specialist DES
DAN Diving Emergency Specialist (DES), a great package for diver safety!
Continuing education is an important way for divers to continue to hone their diving skills and improve as divers. Divers Alert Network, DAN understands the importance of being an active and involved diver who takes the time to learn about not just new dive techniques, but techniques to care for yourself and others injured in a dive accident.
To recognise this commitment to dive safety, DAN has created a recognition program called Diving Emergency Specialist. The DES designation is a way to commend divers who have sought out the training they need to be prepared buddies and safer divers.
To earn this recognition, divers must hold current certifications in:
- Oxygen First Aid for Scuba Diving Injuries (or equivalent)
- Plus three of the following:
- Advanced Oxygen First Aid for Scuba Diving Injuries (or equivalent)
- First Aid for Hazardous Marine Life Injuries (or equivalent)
- Automated External Defibrillation (AED) (or equivalent)
- On-Site Neurological Assessment for Divers (or equivalent)
- Medical Oxygen Rebreather (MO2R)
Divers who have a DAN Diving First Responder Provider course, have the needed prerequisites as stated above.
The diver must also hold:
- a rescue-level certification or higher with a dive training agency; and
- current CPR and first aid certifications (for example DAN BLS certification during the last 24 months).
This program is open to any diver.
To receive this recognition, the diver should submit the DES application directly to DAN Training, together with photocopies of all the required certifications (if not DAN certifications) and payment of the €20 application fee.
DES recognition includes a:
- Plastic Diving Emergency Specialist certification card;
- DES certificate; and
- DES shoulder patch.